Ely Cathedral - Cambridgeshire
Ely was founded by a Saxon Princess called "Ethelreda" in 673AD as a monastery for men and women and the site of her shrine can be found in front of the High Alter. The original building was destroyed by Danes in 870AD and rebuilt as a Benedictine Community in 970AD. The current building was commenced in the 1080's by Abbot Simeon and became the seat of the Bishop in1109AD and although it was closed by Henry VIII in 1539 it continues to this day as a Cathedral. There are many original features and is a wonderful place to spend time with a camera.